Friday, August 5, 2011

Trades and Servers

I was kicked off Oanda's server for some reason, and couldn't log back on for 5 minutes.  I was in the middle of a trade. Cost me some $.   Apparently some clients were having trouble logging on.  I was kicked off, and couldn't log on.  Their response to my questions:

OANDA: Thank you for choosing OANDA. How may I help you?
Sheldon: hi. i had problems logging onto fxtrade. I was in the middle of a trade, and was disconnected....at around 7:35 central
Sheldon: was there an issue with your servers at that time?
Sheldon: my internet connectionwqas fine, and I tried 2 different computers of mine to log back on...to no avail for a few minutes
OANDA: There were some client noticing an inability to login to the platform at 8 32 AM EST. Clients who were logged in were still able to trade. The technical team was informed of this and resolved the matter within a few minutes.
OANDA: Did you contact us at the time you were experiencing the issue you have indicated?
Sheldon: i was logged on and was kicked off.
Sheldon: during that time, and during a trade.
Sheldon: I don't see whether or not I tried to contact you is a relevant question. 
OANDA: As you have indicated you were unable to access the platform. Had you contacted us we would have been able to assist with troubleshooting so that you could have resumed trading or had your trades closed if you were concerned as to any losses being made.
Sheldon: the issue is the platform was down, there was no troubleshooting to be had. As you may well be aware things happen fairly quickly after news events.
OANDA: OK. If you want any trades looked into you will need to provide ticket numbers for these trades.
Sheldon: thank you
OANDA: You will then be emailed once investigation of these trades is complete


I have had no problems with Oanda thus far.  And I have been told they are among the best.  This is my first issue with their server.


Trades:


6 trades today, - 0.8 R, B.E, -0.6 R, + 1.0 R, -0.1 R, and +1.4 R.


Here is my short Aussie dollar trade.  We are obviously in a downtrend, and I played what I hoped to be a false break from the box.

Overhead chart:
 Trade:

5 comments:

  1. That's an excellent example of a spike (big wick sticking out of the box) and channel (several bars clawing their way back up to test the high of the spike). A very nice trade.

    It's too bad about the platform issue, though I gotta say it's also a little gutsy to be in a trade during non-farm payrolls! Did your spreads stay decent at the time?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Richard. I was already in the trade, trading off a 15 minute chart with my stop at break even and trade in my favour....so I stayed in. I have seen spreads of 10 pips during news for a few seconds. I just watched the price and not the spread at the news release this time.

    I guess I really should check the spread more often....I generally do when I see the price acting erratically.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've been with Oanda for awhile now and have only experienced a couple instances such as this morning. If you have a smart phone you can download their app and close trades that way as well.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Although it did not happen recently, Oanda FXTrade has been quite often down during news time in the past. I would advise you to use their simple mobile web application (which generally does not crash) as backup.
    http://m.oanda.com/fxtrade/

    ReplyDelete
  5. FXedge and Harvey, I tried to login with my smartphone to no avail. I will log into both from now on. Just (as the valley girl says) to be "Fer sure fer sure."

    ReplyDelete